24 March 2008

Pro-USA _vs_ Pro-Europe Point of view

I have heard different people bring up the fact that Europeans get so much more vacation Americans in the United States. I've heard people say maybe it's because Europeans are so much more “chill” about life (wich is the pro-Europe outlook), or that Europeans are just lazy (the pro-US outlook). I think it’s not the Europeans who are lazy, it's the American workers who are being taken advantage of by their employers, but are too brainwashed to realize it.

In America, your status = more possessions, more money, just more. In Europe, people actually view the ability for long vacations as a sign of status, a source of social esteem. European countries provide less incentive to work more hours because of higher marginal taxes?

Did you know that 9 out of 10 European workers are covered by unions who fought for more vacation, vs. 2/10 in the US?


I think the Europeans have it right, "work to live, don’t live to work!!"

A joke I’ve recently heard: An invetsment banker coming to a paradise island for a few days of holiday meets a fisherman who is sleeping on the sand in the shadow of his small boat. “Hey, what do you do for a living ?” the banker asks. “I swim, I sleep, I make love, I play with my children, when I’m hungry I go fishing…” the man replies.“Ouaaahhh, but you could instead borrow some money to buy a bigger boat, then go for industrial fishing, hire employees, deal with the providers, noegotiate with the banks, the buy anoter bigger boat and ultimately make an IPO and reap millions of $ !!“So what ?” asks the fisherman. “Then when you retire you can spend all your time on a beach, go swimming, make love and play with your children…”This little story makes me think about what is my real interest in life: neither showing off in a brand new ferrari (with a 60 mph speed limit !) nor feeling that I have succeed if I earn 1 million $ by the age of 30. Vacation/Holiday is the best possible period of time when you are not upset, angry, jealous that’s why I enjoy it SOOOOO MUCH !Take care of youselves !
Yes, I know there is as much materialism in the UK as in the US, maybe more. The prestige car culture in the UK far exceeds anything in the US, I think.


I know most have seen this before, but just in case you haven't:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Recent Posts